Laurdan Associates, Inc.
ELLA® Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. What is the Employment-Labor Law Audit™(ELLA®)?
A. ELLA® is a self-administered HR auditing and employment practices liability risk assessment tool and process that provides users with a systematic approach to
- Assessing and evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of their organization's HR management and employment practices
- Assessing strategic alignment
- Identifying problem areas
- Assessing HR processes and internal controls
- Identifying and evaluating HR management and employment practices liabilitity risks and opportunities
- Planning and prioritizing corrective measures
- Measuring and benchmarking HR management and human capital outcomes
Q. How is ELLA® organized?
A. The current edition of ELLA® contains 29 chapters or PROFILES. Most PROFILES are divided into five sections: the Introduction, which provides a brief description of important points addressed in that PROFILE; the Questionnaire, which provides the "right" questions to ask; the Analysis, which helps users assess their responses; References, which provides a link to additional information, and ELLA HR Audit Worksheets™.
Q. What employment practice areas are covered by ELLA®?
A. The current edition of ELLA® addresses the following employment practice areas.
- Organization and Strategic HR
- Recruitment, Selection, and Hiring
- Application Process
- Reference Checking and Responding
- Immigration Related Issues
- The American with Disabilities Act
- Employee Handbooks
- Positive Employee Relations
- Workplace Discrimination
- Workplace Sexual Harassment
- Diversity Management
- Affirmative Action Planning
- A Drug-Free Workplace
- AIDS in the Workplace
- Employee Retention
- Job Performance Management
- Workplace Conflict Resolution
- Termination Process
- Downsizing, Layoffs, and Plant Closing
- Unemployment Insurance Management
- Leaves of Absence (including FMLA)
- Workplace Safety
- Governance and Ethics
- COBRA and HIPAA
- Employee Benefit Plan Compliance
- Wage and Hour Issues
- Records, Notices and Information Management
- Employment Issues Metrics and Benchmarking
Q. What is the ELLA HR Audit Model™?
A. ELLA® is more than just a checklist of things-to-do or things-to-avoid, the ELLA HR audit Model™ integrates the questions and issues from each Profile and categorizes them within the five Critical Components of HR auditing. These Critical Components consist of:
- Activities: Tasks and actions that create or implement employment policies, practices and procedures.
- Behaviors: Actions and conduct that affest - positively or negatively - the implementation of the organization's policies, practices, and procedures and its commitment to goal and objectives.
- Risk Assessment: Current and/or future events or threats that have the potential to cause loss, peril, or vulnerabilties or create opportunities.
- Internal Controls: Processes, tests, and assessments that help ensure compliance and achievement of organizational goals.
- Outcomes: Qualitative and quantitative measurements and metrics that assess th achievement of organizational goals and objectives.
Q. What are ELLA HR Audit Worksheets™?
A. For each ELLA® Profile the ELLA HR Audit Worksheet™ is an auditing tool that displays ELLA® audit questions from the Profile into the template of the ELLA HR Audit Model™. The HR Audit Worksheet is an audit planning document that helps your organization develop a plan of action.
Q. What assessment tools are included in ELLA®?
A. In addition to the ELLA® Questionnaire and the ELLA HR Audit Worksheet™, ELLA® includes:
- The ELLA Pre-HR Audit Worksheet™
- ELLA HR Audit Maps™, graphical presentations of key issues
- The Employment Practices Liability Risk Assessment Tool™
- The ELLA HR Audit Action Planning Tool™
- The Human Capital Management Effectiveness Tool™
- The Employment Retaliation Vulnerability Assessment Tool™
Q. In what format is ELLA® available?
A. ELLA® is available in both hard copy and web-based versions.
Q. How often is ELLA® updated?
A. ELLA® is periodically updated. First published in 1990, ELLA® is now in the ninth edition. ELLA® users are advised of the availability of new editions as they are released. Current ELLA on the WEB™ subscribers automatically reveive new versions when they are released.
Q. How many pages are in the hard copy version of ELLA®?
A. The current hard copy edition has more than 975 pages.
Q. Does ELLA® include information about individual state employment laws?
A. While ELLA® is designed primarily to address federal and national employment issues, it also includes references to a number of specific state laws, regulations, requirements, and metrics.
Q. Does ELLA® include sample forms and policy statements?
A. ELLA® has a limited number of sample forms and policy statements.
Q. Do ELLA® and ELLA on the WEB™ include the same material?
A. Yes, both versions contain the same HR auditing content. ELLA on the WEB™ additionally allows users to archive their audit results, to tailor their audit reports, and has links to reference materials.
Q. Can I see a demo of ELLA® or ELLA on the WEB™?
A. To see the content of ELLA® or to set up a FREE trial version of ELLA on the WEB™, go to www.ellaontheweb.com.
Q. What is ELLA Assistance™?
A. ELLA Assistance™ is a suite of HR and employment practices risk management services that are designed to support the needs of ELLA® users. First while ELLA® is designed to be a self-administered HR audit, many organizations desire assistance with conducting their audit. Laurdan Associates, Inc., ELLA® contributing authors and editors, and ELLA® authorized consultants are available to provide HR auditing services to ELLA® users. Second, as a result of using ELLA, organizations frequently identify corrective measures that need to be developed and implemented, such as updating their employy handbook, conducting an employee surevey, or conducting secual harrassment prevention programs. ELLA Assitance™ responds to theose needs by providing tailored HR management consulting services and activities. ELLA Assistance™ is available to ELLA® users on a reduce fee basis.
Q. How much does ELLA® cost?
A. The price of the hard copy version of the ninth edition of ELLA® is $225.00 per copy. The price of an annual subscription of ELLA on the WEB is $295.00 per single user.
Q. How do I order ELLA®?
A. To order the hard copy version of ELLA® or ELLA on the WEB™, please contact Laurdan Associates, Inc. at 301-299-4117 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at www.laurdan.com.